Wednesday 24 March 2010

When my little man grows up...

It's workshop time again over at Sleep is for the Weak, and prompt number 3 got me thinking:
What do you secretly dream of your children doing? We all know they are not us and more than anything we would want to see them happy, but sometimes a wish to live vicariously through them is unavoidable. Confess your secret dreams for them.

As The Little Dude's birthday looms ever closer, I've been doing a lot of pondering about how fast it all goes, and a lot of suddenly realising 'oh my god, he's actually going to like, grow up and stuff?!' - because when I was pregnant, I always knew I was having a baby - but didn't really give a lot of thought to the fact that my baby would soon turn into a toddler - then a child - then (OMG) a teenager - and eventually - (gulp) - a grown-up!
So then, what are my dreams for The Little Dude?

Well, obviously, I want him to be happy and healthy and content, whatever he decides to do with himself.
I want him to live life to the absolute max, to explore, have adventures, and as much fun as possible along the way. (Preferably without breaking any laws, please and thank you.) 
I want him to find the love of his life (who I will instantly approve of & we'll get along famously for evermore) and be blissfully happy.
But all of those, while very good intentions, don't make for a terribly exciting blog post. So, let's get vicarious.

I want him to be rich and famous.
Rich enough to be able to say 'There you go mummy, there are the keys to that huge country manner you always wanted.  And yes, you have your very own pond, complete with ducks.'
Famous enough for 'Hello!' to call me up asking for an interview & wanting to do a photoshoot at my fabulous country manor home, just because I'm his mummy.

But, not so rich that he loses all sight of what really matters in life, and not so famous that he loses all his privacy and has to search through streams of gold diggers to find his true love.
Johnny Depp's a good role model - superstar - talented - gorgeous - but still a proper family man, with his head screwed on. That'd do nicely.

So, how to achieve this stardom?
The Daddy and I differ there - he's hoping our little man will be the next Steven Gerrard & captain the England squad to world cup glory. That, or become the next big thing in Hollywood (presumably so he could pull strings & let Daddy realise his own acting dreams!).

Me, I'd rather he was a rock star. If there's one thing I hope to pass down to my baby boy, it's a love of music.  (He's already showing a leaning to loud Indie rock, which makes mummy very happy!)  I'd love him to see the world while playing to huge arenas of people, singing amazing songs he's written that will still be around for his children to enjoy. That said, I'd be constantly worrying about him hooking up with whoever fills Amy Winehouse's shoes in years to come. *shudder*
Perhaps a famous TV chef instead - the next Jamie Oliver? That would be brilliant. He could come to The Manor and cook us scrumptious feasts.  And Jools Oliver is lovely - so theoretically, chefs find nice wives? Well, we all love a man who cooks I suppose!
Or maybe, he could invent something so spectacular that mankind ends up wondering how they ever lived without it?  Then he could be rich and famous beyond his wildest dreams, but still be anonymous if he liked.
(Would you really be able to spot Bill Gates in a crowd? I honestly couldn't!)
Of course I'd also love him to inherit my artistic talents, and if he could make his fortune from it, then fantastic!  But even in a vicarious daydream, I know the term 'struggling artist' exists for a reason.

Ultimately though, it really is all about him being happy, healthy and content.
So long as he achieves those, my work is done.
And however he decides to go about it, I'll always be proud of him.
And however tall he gets (I fully expect him to be towering over me by the time he's 12!), he'll always be my little boy.
And I'll always love him more than I ever thought possible.

So - what are your wildest dreams for your offspring?


7 comments:

  1. Bless, we keep saying we want BG to be a Pharmacist because the money is really good!

    I'm the same I just want her to be happy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww my Oh wants smurf to run out as the number 9 for Liverpool, 5 will be quite happy with him being healthy and happy. Although I would never turn down a seat in the directors box...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol: Definitely :) - kinda scary to imagine them deciding what they want to be though, don't you think?

    Lorraine: Daddy's eh?! Though I agree, would be pretty fun to rock up to Anfirld & chill out in the director's box! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd settle for waking up a little bit later...! Seriously though I think you realise so much more about yourself than about your children when you think about what you want for them. I want them to be clever and musical but couldn't give a stuff if they're not sporty. And that's just because I'm not sporty and so it's never been important to me.... So maybe I should be hoping for that box at Anfield too (although with three girls seems unlikely!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Though I bet when they hit the teenage stage it'll be a struggle to get them OUT rather than IN to bed :P
    I'm not at all sporty either - a watcher, not a do-er! Would much rather he was clever & musical! (But shh, don't tell his Daddy I said that!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll be wanting a handmade duck house next, to go with the country pad. Better make sure he is an MP!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, there's an idea - I could be the Prime Minister's Mummy!
    Actually, no - don't think I could handle half the country hating my baby boy!!

    ReplyDelete